Question : won't boot to normal mode, only safe mode

I am helping a friend with an XP PRO, vintage 2003. We downloaded Norton Security, which we installed over Norton SystemWorks Premier Edition. Norton unstalled Systemworks before installing Norton Security. Two days later virtually nothing worked, specifically Firefox and Outlook express could not access the internet. I called Symantec. She uninstalled Norton Security, and Internet Explorer worked, but Firefox did not work.

Norton AntiVirus was still installed according Add/Remove. She took over the computer and tried to get rid of it with add/remove and the Norton Removal tool. Neither worked so she rebooted to safe mode. However, when either of us tried to click on either the Administrator or the user icons, we got an error message saying Windows had to be activated and it could only be activated in normal mode.

Unfortunately, it would not boot to the normal even when one chose to boot to normal or the last successful configuration. At this point the Symantec person told us to call Microsoft and to call Symantec back when it was fixed. Neither Microsoft or emachines was willing to help for less than $59 which my friend did not have.

I went back today and tried the in the Recovery console, 1) the repair feature, 2) chkdsk 3) the repair feature that comes just before an in place upgrade, 4) an in place upgrade where Windows files were replaced with other files. I noticed many files were deleted also.

Unfortunately, Setup could not finish because it went to Safe mode when it rebooted and had to reboot again, etc. My friend has not backed up his files.

Answer : won't boot to normal mode, only safe mode

I tried guided help which said access denied. I made a live CD but that did not help except to backup his files.
So I used his original disks which removed everything from the computer and put it back in it original condition.

I thank all who helped or tried to help.

Burr
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us