Question : Blue screen of death on windows start up

This is the error message that I've gotten 3 times, I have reinstalled windows and it works for a time.  It has been working for the last 8 months and I got this error again.  I just reinstalled Windows XP with all critical updates last night, when I woke up I got this screen again:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen restart your computer.  If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space (over 30 gigs free).  If a driver is identified in the stop message disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates, Try changing video adpaters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates, Disable BIO memory options such as caching, or shadowing.  If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable componenets, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup option, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:
STOP: 0X0000008E, 0XC0000005, 0X03020100, 0X00000000

Beginning dump of physical memory...
Physical memory dump complete

Contact your system Admin or tech support for further assistance.

So that is what I get, I don't know if its something wrong with the hard drive or other hardware, I haven't heard of a driver doing this but any advice you can give me would be much appreicated.

Answer : Blue screen of death on windows start up

From this page:

http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didnt catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).
STOP 0x0000008e Error Message During Windows XP Setup {KB 315335} Win XP
Games: Stop Error Message That References Nv4_disp.dll {KB 325730} Flight Simulator, other games (wth Nvidia-based video adapter)
Your Computer Stops Responding When You Use the Highlighter Feature & the Font Color Feature {KB 829578} Win XP

Go to the actual page to be able to click on the links.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us