Question : Can't access mapped drives without re-entering username/password each time

Hi:
We have a new customer who recently had a workgroup XP network upgraded to a Win2k3 Server with AD installed on it.
The individual who deployed the Win2k3 server setup 1 user account (username1) and two shared folders (data1 and data2) with full access to the shared folders for username1 to access 24/7.

The mapped drives to \\sbs2k3\data1 and \\sbs2k3\data work fine for a little while until a computer is rebooted. Then, the client's software can no longer access their mapped drives w/out re-entering the password/username to the mapped drives.

Furthermore, the client computers have not joined the domain and are still using their workgroup names.  The customer just needs access to the mapped drives for the sake of their software which accesses a database from those mapped drives.

However, the problem is as follows:
I can map using the username1 account until a computer is rebooted or logged off. Then, the shared drive is present but requires input of the username and password each time it is either rebooted or a few days pass by w/out rebooting.
I've assigned full access and "everyone" to the shared folders so that the end-users would not have to be entering a username and password to authenticate to the mapped drive each time they reboot or turn on their computers.
The company does not want to change over to a full Active Directory domain if it doesn't have to. They just need their software to be access the database on the mapped drives w/out Windows XP losing the password.
When re-authenticating to the mapped drives, Windows XP no longer has the option to "Save Password".

Can someone provide a tip or two that I can use to work around constant Username and Password prompts to the mapped drives each time a computer is rebooted? Perhaps a policy that would allow the desktops to access the data folder freely.
The customer made it well known that they do not want to much change in their work environment and I am trying to keep this as simple as possible.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Answer : Can't access mapped drives without re-entering username/password each time

Again, this might be because the client has cached credentials from the past. The server checks those stored crednetials, it see it's incorrect, promt the user to provide the correct ones, once provided it remember the correct one, but after restart the correct ones are gone and the stored incorrect ones are used again.
Start - >  Run -> control userpasswords2 -> switch to advanced -> manage passwords -> remove all entries.
I feel kind of silly providing this solution in every second post, but this is not my fault that it helps in 90% of problems:-)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us